Thursday, February 16, 2012

King of Hearts.

So, since I left you last, things have been a rollercoaster. I am learning more about the culture everyday, and also learning more about the new friends that I am meeting and the people around me. Some people here are very homesick, or have bad home stays for many different reasons, but it seems that few are truly delighted or happy to be here. I guess that I am used to not seeing my family a lot, so it makes it easier for me to be away from them. I have had a few small moments of homesickness, but nothing major that makes me want to go home or leave this amazing place.
This week has flown by! It is already Thursday night! School was better this week, easier than the first. I am finally adjusted to the time difference and the schedule of my days/nights. Monday was my new friend Erica’s 21st birthday! We didn’t celebrate until last night though, and a group of girls went out for dinner together and it was very fun! Tuesday was Valentine’s Day, and a group of girls went to the dorms to watch a cheesy movie and drink wine and eat chocolates. It was very fun! We watched something borrowed and hid our wine from the staff that was lurking in the common area. Even though it is allowed to have it there, we still felt like they were judging us for having it. Who knows? After we left, Ebony and I went home and drank some more wine with our host family, tried to flamenco dance, and we talked about relationships and just laughed and laughed all night. It was a great Valentine’s Day! And to top it off, Brent sent me roses and a teddy bear! Best surprise EVER! I am so lucky to have him in my life.
Today was long, but good. I had class, then we went to visit the cathedral and take an in depth tour. The art history there is fascinating and beautiful, so of course I was totally geeking out about it. I saw a real life painting by GOYA! Almost died a little bit. They basically had to drag me away from it, I was staring so long. After the tour, we climbed the 34 ramps to the top of the cathedral tower. Yes, ramps, not stairs. They had ramps so that horses could carry people who could not walk up to the top of the tower. It was a hike, but the view was so worth it! You can see all of Sevilla from the top! It was a clear day with sunny blue skies, and it was such a beautiful site. Afterwords, I walked back home and relaxed before lunch. I attempted to study for my exam tomorrow but ended up watching 3 hours of Gossip Girl instead. Had to catch up!
Tomorrow begins a great weekend: I have one class, and then I have to go with the girls to buy masks because on Saturday we are going to Cadiz, a city southwest of Sevilla, on the coast of the Atlantic Ocean for CARNIVAL! Spring is the season of carnviales in Spain, and it is a huge cultural tradition. Lots of costumes, practical joking, fun, dancing, drinking, and partying in the streets. Think of it as Halloween, but with no scary costumes, only fun ones! And then throw mardi gras in there. It’s a combo of the two. And tomorrow night we are going out to our first discoteca in Sevilla! I could not be more excited!
I hope everyone is well. Kisses.
<3 Jenn