Sunday, February 12, 2012

Family&Faith

So, yesterday, I took a day trip to Cordoba, one of the oldest cities in Spain. However, if you want to know more about that, check out my pictures on facebook. It was a lot of fun, and had many beautiful things, but in this post, I want to talk about some other things.

The first of those things is family. I got a huge lesson last night on how important the family unit is, here. When my roommate Ebony and I came home around 8pm from Cordoba, we called up the stairs as usual to say hello and how are you to Tony and Manuel. They usually say hello back, and we go put away our things in our room before coming upstairs to hang out with them. When we called out, Manuel answered back, but Tony didn’t, but we could hear her talking, so we figured she was on the phone. When we came upstairs, Manuel was in the living room watching tv, and Tony was still in the kitchen. Usually, we let her be in the kitchen until she comes out and talks to us, because she is usually busy doing something or another or cooking dinner. But last night….she didn’t come out. For a while. Manuel went in there to talk to her, and there was a hushed conversation in Spanish, and I didn’t really understand most of it. Eventually, Manuel called me into the kitchen, but not Ebony. At this point, I was not only confused, but worried, too. What was happening? Were they having a fight? Breaking up? Is Tony okay? I had so many questions running through my mind. Was I in some sort of trouble for something?

Tony wasn’t looking at me, or Manuel. She had her eyes down and on the stove. The following conversation went something similar to this (in Spanish, of course, but if I wrote it like that, none of you would be able to read it):

Manuel: you asked about Tony when you came home, right?

Me: yeah, of course. We asked you how she was doing and if she was on the phone.

Manuel: See, Tony? They did ask, just like I said.

*Tony is still looking away, ignoring both of us*

Manuel: Tony, it’s fine! *laughs*

*Tony looks up and I see that she has tears in her eyes. This makes me instantly horrified and sad*

Me: TONY. What’s wrong?!

Tony: Nothing.

Me: Are you okay?

Tony: No.

Me: Why? What’s wrong? Please tell me?

Tony: No.

Manuel: Tony, everything is fine. Don’t worry about it.

Me: What is going on?

*at this point, even though minimal words were being exchanged, I felt so lost in translation, feeling like there had to be something huge that I was missing out on, here.*

Me: Tony, why are you crying? Are you okay? Did Ebony and I do something wrong?

Manuel: Tony thinks that you and Ebony didn’t ask about her or want to talk to her, and you’ve been gone all day and she missed you.

*at this point, words in any language were not necessary. I ran over to Tony and embraced her in my arms, hugging her fiercely, both of us crying now, and me telling her…*

Me: TONY. We love you so much! You’re the best mother ever and I need you to know that!

*we’re both crying, she is muttering things like, siii, siii, te quiero mucho.*

*Ebony, who missed all of this, walks into the kitchen to see me and Tony crying, and Manuel laughing*

Ebony: what’s going on?! Tony, Jenn, why are you crying?!

*Manuel repeats the story of how Tony thinks we didn’t miss her while we were gone today*

Ebony: What?! TONY?! *runs to us, group hugging commences*

Me: Tony, we love you so much. You are the best mother that we could ever ask for, please don’t cry! We thought you were on the phone, so we didn’t come in to see you. We are so sorry. Please don’t cry. We love you!

Tony: I know, I know. I’m sorry I got so emotional *still crying* I just love you so much, you are my daughters. You mean so much to me.

*even more crying now, everyone hugging.*

Me: Tony, you are our family, now. You are so important to us! *I run over and grab Manuel, he joins the group hug* And Manuel! You’re like our Spanish father, and we love you too!

After lots of hugging, crying, my makeup flooding down my eyes, and lots of reassurance, love, and kisses later, we were all sitting together eating dinner, laughing and loving life with nothing but streaked makeup and tear stained cheeks to show that we had been crying only minutes ago.

I felt horrible to see her cry like that, because of something she thought that I had done to her. The feeling in the pit of my stomach was guilty and raw. It wrenched at my heart to know that after only 12 days, I have a mother who cares for me that much. Family is so important here, and this example shows how important it is to communicate love and show your gratitude and emotion for one another. I will never ever again take Tony of Manuel for granted again, as if I ever did in the first place. I have been hugging her nonstop today to make sure she knows how much she is loved.

The second topic I want to discuss is that of faith, which ties in rather well with family. I went to my first church service here in Spain, this morning. The cathedral is vast and beautiful. They truly glorify God through their structures. Although the mass was slightly different than mine is at home, and I couldn’t respond to the prayers and verses like I wanted to, I enjoyed it. No matter what language is being spoken, you can still feel the Holy Spirit touching your soul. I spent a long time talking to God and telling him how grateful I am for all the blessings that have come into my life, recently.

Faith and Family are the foundation of a good life. I knew that before, but I know it even more now.

<3