Tuesday, April 24, 2012

"You Know I Love You So"


“When you’re on a holiday, you can’t find the words to say all the things that come to you, and I wanna feel it too. On an island in the sun, we’ll be playin and havin fun, and it makes me feel so fine I can’t control my brain…”

Lagos, Portugal. Those are the only two words that can be smashed into one definition: paradise. This past weekend, I went to Lagos, a city on the very southwestern point of Portugal, on the Atlantic Ocean. I have honestly never been to anywhere more beautiful. I have gone to many places so far on my study abroad trip, but cities can only be so beautiful to a point. Manmade structures are one thing, but completely raw and natural beauty carved from the hands of the earth is another thing completely…

Upon arriving after a four hour bus ride from Sevilla, our first stop before checking into the hotel was la Ponta de Piedade, an amazing natural rock structure lining the coast for miles and miles. Its arches, peaks and points all converge together to create coves, nooks and crannies in the rocks and that tiny dinghy boats dash in and out of to show people to inside of the watery caves. Although it was a bit cloudy when we got there, it was hot and humid and the air was thick with the smell of saltwater. I have never seen water that is clearer or bluer than the water on the coast of Lagos. The pictures that you see are not enhanced or photoshopped, it is just that amazing!

After spending some time admiring mother nature’s sheer beauty, my girls and I discovered that our hotel was literally right on one of the many many amazing beaches that Lagos has to offer. After checking in and throwing on our bikinis, we ran right down to Praia Dona Ana, a basically secluded cove of natural rock formations jutting up from the depths of the crystalline teal water, and lined with white sand covered in seashells and tiny little scurrying crabs, that are quick to run back into tide pools filled with sea urchins and anemones. We spent the entire day lying on the beach, exploring the rocky caves, wading through the ocean, collecting shells, building sand castles, soaking up the sun, and drinking fruity beverages. After a long day of relaxing, we got dressed and went down into the center of town. Lagos is definitely a summer destination. Although it was amazing weather for us, most locals think that it is still “too cold” to go out to the beach much. It wasn’t cold at all for me, quite the contrary! People in Europe still amaze me. In Sevilla with 70 degree weather plus, people are still wearing sweaters, and I am fighting the urge to wear jean shorts, even though that is socially unacceptable here. Anyway, we ended up eating at cool surf/reggae themed little restaurant called Nah Nah Bah, where we got some delicious sangria and amazing burgers with pineapples and some amazing spicy orange sauce on them. After dinner, we went out to a discoteca called the Grand Café, and danced the entire night and early morning away.

Saturday, we started the day off right, because despite little sleep, we boarded a large sailboat and took a cruise out into the ocean, and through the caves and coves of the shoreline. The water was so clear, and the sun was shining, glimmering onto the ocean’s surface, throwing glittering reflections of light and glass off my sunglasses. We went in a tiny dinghy out into the coves, and I was literally waiting for Ariel to pop out and any second and start singing about how she wished she had legs to join me on land. After two hours of heaven on earth out on the ocean, when I thought things couldn’t get any better, they did. We went to another wonderful beach and played in the tide pools and lay in the sand all afternoon. I took an amazing nap in the hot sunshine, and my back hated my for it later because of the sunburn, but it was vale la pena! After a long afternoon on the beach, we returned to our hotel for showers, naps, and a change of clothes. Then we left for Cabo San Vicente, which is the very tip of Portugal, which looks out onto the Atlantic Ocean (17 day boat trip to the USA, fun fact). They call it “The End of the World” and it is not hard to see why. Back in the day, before maps and modern technology and the concept of gravity, people in Europe DID think that the edge of Portugal really WAS the end of the world, and that if they continued into the distant horizon, they would fall off the edge of the world and forever be lost to the unknown fathoms of its depths. I have never been to Ireland, but I would imagine that the view is something similar to the Cliffs of Moher. The view of the sunset was incredible, even though it got a bit chilly once the sun set.

After returning to the hotel for a moment, we went out to dinner at a diner called Rockafellas, where although the wait was long, the food was good. After dinner we went to a little hole in the wall bar called Joe’s Garage, where we spent most of the night.

Sunday, our last day, was spent much the same as the first two: beaching, napping, and wishing that I never had to leave the beautiful paradise that I had found. I spent my last hours soaking up all the vitamin d that my body could handle, and I left the beach with great memories, a sunburn, and sand caked into my hair. If I ever get the chance, I would return to Lagos in a heartbeat, and I would also love to see more of Portugal!

In other news, here in Sevilla, this week is going to be one of the hardest to date! I have to finish my history term paper by Wednesday, and on Thursday, I am going to Prague to visit Brent, finally!! I am so excited to see him and to also see Prague, the city I have heard so many great things about. This week/weekend is also what is called “Feria de Abril” in Sevilla. Basically one of the biggest street carnivals/parties in Spain. People from all over come just to see it! But that means for me, that I am babysitting right now, and that I will also be here on Tuesday and Wednesday night, because Reyes and Angela’s mom and dad are out partying the night away at Feria while I watch their children and slave over all my homework after they go to bed, waiting for their parents to return in the wee hours of the morning. Oh well, at least it gives me no other option but to buckle down and do homework! And they money doesn’t hurt either ;)

For everyone back at CMU, kick butt on finals! You’re so close to being done! See you in 24 days, America!