Monday, March 12, 2012

“Tutoring!”

Okay, so a quick post to update you all on my amazing tutoring experience that I just started tonight:

I applied through my school here to be a tutor to Spanish children whose parents want them to have more experience learning/speaking English. Luckily, I was able to get the position! Tonight, I went over to their house to have my first session with them.

Their house is beautiful, for starters. Just amazing. They have an entire play/study room where I was able to work with them! Their names are Reyes and Angela, and they are 11 and 8 (almost 9! As she kept reminding me) respectively. They are just the cutest things ever. When I got there, they were kind of shy in their matching school uniforms with plaid skirts and navy sweaters over polos. However, within ten minutes of getting into our “classroom” session, they were all smiles and excited and wanting me to look at all of their school books and their drawings and teach them new words!

In their play room, they basically have an entire half wall that is a white board, so I had them draw me pictures of their vocabulary words like tree, river, lake, leaves, etc. I had Reyes, the older one, write sentences in English since she is learning verbs. She hates the verb “to run” because she think it is the hardest and it all sounds the same.

Angela has a Hannah Montana pen that sings different songs when you push the buttons and she loves to sing along to it! Sooooo cute!

Quickly, our hour together passed, and before I knew it, it was time to go. However, their mom told me that I could come back whenever I wanted, and she also asked me if I would be willing to babysit them sometimes during the weekends when her and husband wanted to go out on dates. So of course I said yes! More time with the cutest Spanish girls AND getting paid 10 Euro per hour per child?! I can SO get used to this!

More details to come soon!