Thursday, March 1, 2012

“One Month In!”

So my dear friends and family, it has been one month today since I have been in Sevilla, Spain! Can you believe it?! I feel like it has flown by! If this is how fast the first month went, the next two and a half are going to come and go before I know it, and then I’ll be back on American soil before I even know what hit me.

In other news, this week has been just dandy. On Monday, we began our “Continuation Period” classes, which are the ones that we will have the rest of the semester. I have three classes: Spanish Civilization, Great Works of Spanish Literature, and Spanish for Business. So far, I love them all! Originally, I had an Anthropology class, but it was kind of at odd times/days, so I emailed my advisor at CMU, and now I am enrolled in Spanish for Business, which I like a lot, and I know that it will be very useful for me in any future career path that I choose.

I have class Monday through Thursday from 10:20am until 1:45pm. Not too shabby! I can definitely handle that schedule! I usually sleep till 9, and then I get up and shower, eat breakfast, and then leave my house to walk to school at 10. It has been working out quite well, and I like it a lot.

Tuesday, we had school of for Dia de Andalucia, which is sort of like a Spanish version of Labor Day. No one has to go to school or work. I spent the day relaxing with Ebony and Mikaela. We took a walk and we watched Water for Elephants. It was a nice relaxing day. Wednesday, I went to class, then spent most of the afternoon on the roof.

Today, I went to class, came home and had lunch, then met up with two people from my class for a group project for Business. We were assigned a specific district of the city, and we had to observe the businesses there, and see what they were lacking, and what we would add/change/get rid of. We have to give a presentation on it in class. I am confident that we will do well. I like all the people in my classes, and I am making new friends fast, which I also like. None of my classes have more than twenty people in them, and it is very nice because the professors know us all on a personal level.

I have noticed that the classes here are much more casual, and laid back. Although we are working hard and learning, we can call the professors by the first name, and use the “tu” form of “you”, which is informal, as if you were speaking to a friend rather than a teacher. They are all open and accepting of any questions that we have, and all of the classes are largely based on discussion. I am enjoying it a lot!

This weekend, I am going on two day trips within Spain: Saturday, I am going to Gibraltar, which is the southernmost tip of Spain, and it is technically a territory of England, and it is supposedly just like a “mini London”….except with MONKEYS! Pretty excited about it! Then on Sunday I am going to Grazalema, which is on the coast and I am going to go hiking! Woohoo!

Have a great weekend everyone, and be sure to check back in on Sunday for a weekend update!

xoxo